A Month in the Cloud

google chrome screenshot 640x360 A Month in the Cloud

Cloud Computing is here

Been a month since UPS dropped off Santa Google’s gift to me. How is now different from my early impressions posting? Mostly more of the same on a daily use level, but the ‘scene’ surrounding Chrome OS has gotten more interesting.

The app store, while still mostly filled with bookmarks, has started offering more options and more things I thought wouldn’t get ported over. Since there is already a thread listing favorite apps I’ll leave the chinwagging about good v meh out of this.

Sadly, as of the time this was written, there have been no new OS updates. Google Docs still lacks an offline mode. The track pad can still steal focus while you’re typing, and I still have to squint and stumble through UI issues.

Edit: I wrote this and had it in buffer before updates went live. My apologies.

Even so I have to say the cloud has heped me on at least one very important level. For some reason Open Office is gone from the desktop I’ve been using. Annoying but all my files are fine so no worries. Unfortunately my home connection is only a teensy bit better than dialup in terms of speed so grabbing big huge installer files is a non-option. Sadly the novel file itself was too large for a direct conversion yet I had already been updating the two segments that aren’t yet complete in google docs. Partial victory, but from a practical standpoint it’s one I can work with. Go Cloud for saving my work and keeping me productive!

My useage patterns, I’ve noted, have changed somewhat. Twitter, Facebook. The whole ‘social’ thing I never bothered with. Connection too slow and I’m a shut-in so what’s the point? Started using Twitter as a way of putting on-fiction short blurts off blog, and I’ve decided to reverse my old facebook policy of auto-denying non family from friends lists. Why? Mostly to try shaking things up, and partially since if google wants us cr-48 users to be walking billboards I might want to increase m visability and stop shunning groups I don’t already associate with.

Oh and I find it hard to use IE now. Gotten too used to chrome’s way of doing things, and having apps right in browser is just so frikken handy even when at the desktop and with access to traditional programs.

Related posts:

  1. Google Announces Plans For Universal “Cloud Printing” When Chrome OS was first announced last year Google made...
  2. Cloud Canvas – Pushing The Boundaries Of HTML5 It's been a couple of months since I wrote about...
  3. Cloud Computing: Older than Most Think We have made strides in the past two years in...